- Is a nationally standardized program of pre-commissioned officer education and training offered at hundreds of colleges and universities throughout the United States.
- Army ROTC is one of the best leadership courses in the country and is part of your college curriculum.
- During classes, leadership labs, physical training and field training exercises, you learn firsthand what it takes to lead others, motivate groups and conduct missions as an Officer in the Army.
- You are commissioned a Second Lieutenant and serve as an officer in the Active Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard.
To sign up
ROTC ( Military Science)
- Classes can be signed up for just like any other college class. If you desire to become a cadet, qualifications must be met.
- First an foremost, you must be accepted at WOU and
- Must be in full-time student status (minimum of 12 credit hours a term).
- Military Science is available as a minor.
- There are unique cases so it is a good idea to contact the Military Science Department to review qualifications.
The focus of the ROTC program is leadership development.
- Cadets learn leadership skills, problem solving techniques, decision making skills, planning and organizing skills, interpersonal communications skills, professional ethics and responsibilities, and other management skills.
- Leadership labs and Field Training Exercises (FTX) supplement classroom work with practical leadership training and experience. Cadets are trained, coached and mentored by cadre with more than 20 years of experience.
It's an experience that you can't get anywhere else. Round out your college experience by participating in ROTC activities. You can have the best of two worlds, civilian and military, and get a college experience unlike any other. If you're interested in attending college while learning what it takes to become an Army Officer, ROTC may be right for you. In addition to teaching you valuable leadership skills, military training, and discipline, ROTC can also provide you with money for tuition and other expenses through scholarships.
The best part of this leadership development is that your career starts immediately upon graduation as you are commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army and It is as easy to sign up for ROTC as any other elective class on campus. You can take the basic course of ROTC with no military service obligation.
Resources and Other Links
Contact WOU Army ROTC
James "Jim" Hawthorne, CPT, FA
Assistant Professor of Military Science
Western Oregon University
Office: 503-838-8353 | Cell / Text: 615-364-8994 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Programs and Support Center, Rm 201