On behalf of Western Oregon University, we would like to thank you for your service here on campus. Below are the necessary steps to guide you through our departing process. If you are a retiring employee, we advise you to not only look through the resources given on this page, but also to review the Benefits & Retirement menu on our homepage.
At separation of employment, there are some important steps for employees and supervisors to take, and many questions that may come up about final pay, benefits continuation, and other topics.
To make this transition as smooth as possible, below you will find necessary guidelines to follow as you leave employment here.
The Resignation Process
- Two weeks prior to your expected end date, fill out a letter of resignation and submit it to your supervisor.
- Sign your final timesheet and submit to your supervisor.
- Return all department property to your supervisor unless otherwise specified.
- Pay any outstanding amounts due or travel advances.
- Provide Human Resources with a change in mailing address (if applicable).
- Return books or materials checked out from Hamersly Library.
- Change check delivery (if applicable).
- Return department or building keys to the key shop
- If applicable, contact Human Resources regarding continuation of insurance benefits.
- Schedule a confidential exit interview with Human Resources and/or submit a Confidential Exit Questionnaire.
For access to a pdf and printable format of this checklist, please click here.
1. Look over your Retirement Checklist based on your expected date of retirement. Follow the necessary instructions located on the checklist.
2. As you approach your retirement date, inform both Human Resources and your supervisor so that they can make necessary arrangements for after you depart.
3. Two weeks prior to your expected end date, fill out a letter of resignation and submit it to your supervisor.
4. Return all department property to your supervisor.
5. Pay any outstanding amounts due or any travel advances.
6. Provide Human Resources with an up to date mailing address.
7. Return books or materials checked out from Hamersly Library.
8. Return department or building keys to the key shop
9. Contact Human Resources to set up an appointment to discuss any final retirement details
10. Schedule a confidential exit interview with Human Resources and/or submit a Confidential Exit Questionnaire.