Green Dots For Media
Green Dots for Media
Easy Green Dots for media:
- Believe that rape, abuse, and stalking are unacceptable and say it out loud
- Cover violence prevention events
- Have green dot information available in your publications and resources
- Put a green dot on your media promotional items
- Educate yourself and your colleagues about the issues to strengthen your reporting and coverage
- Sponsor a fundraiser for your local service providers
- Be a board member for a local service provider
- Put a green dot link on your website
- Offer free or discounted advertising space for violence prevention events
Links to Best Practices and Resources for Covering Sexual Violence
Reporting on Sexual Violence – Dart Center for Journalism & Trauma
Quick tips on covering sexual violence, from preparation to writing the story.
Tips for Covering Sexual Assault from Reporting Sexual Assault: A
Guide for Journalists, published by the Michigan Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual
Tragedies & Journalists – Joe Hight & Frank Smyth, Dart Center for Journalism & Trauma
A 40-page guide to help journalists, photojournalists and editors report on violence while protecting both victims and themselves.
Ethics Codes-Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism
This page contains a collection of ethics guidelines from various news organizations worldwide. These include specific news outlets, parent news companies, and trade associations working in different media.
The Student Press Law Center’s College Top 10 List-Student Press Law Center
The ten questions college student journalists most frequently ask about their rights
Covering Child Sex Abuse – Journalism Center on Children & Families
Thanks to a grant from the Ms. Foundation for Women, the Journalism Center has produced new information to help. Sections include background on child sexual abuse and prevention; the characteristics and mental health treatment of people who offend; policy, law enforcement and prosecution; advice for reporting stories with care; and Q&As with leading experts. Each section features a topic overview, story ideas, sources and resources.