Simple ways to enjoy Earth Day this year
Natalie Dean | Entertainment Editor
With Earth Day steadily approaching, it’s time to start making plans for April 22. If it’s staying at home or going out, there is more than one way to advocate for environmental concerns and to celebrate Earth Day. According to earthday.org, “(Earth Day) is marked by more than a billion people every year as a day of action to change human behavior and create global, national and local policy changes.” To celebrate, consider these ways to enjoy Earth Day either solo or socially distancing:
- Donate unwanted clothes or items around the house to declutter, and to support local charities, organizations and people in need.
- Return cans and bottles to declutter, recycle and get a little extra cash.
- Get outdoors with gardening projects ⏤ which can attract native pollinators, support local ecosystems and provide fresh produce.
- Walking, hiking and biking are rewarding activities that get the body moving while being in the great outdoors.
- Join a group or go solo to pick up litter at parks, beaches, dams, hiking trails or around the neighborhood.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle materials around the house with art projects, such as some of the ones below.
- Create a bird feeder by taking a pinecone and covering it with peanut butter, and then sprinkling birdseed on the peanut butter. Once evenly coated, tie the pinecone up with string in a secure location.
- Try painting and decorating rocks, which can add flair to any yard or garden. Designs can be as simple as a sun or a ladybug, or they can be used as identifying markers for different plants.
- Make a fairy garden out of everyday items found outside, like sticks, bark, stones, moss and flowers.
- Learn about other ways to be environmentally conscious, such as trying to go plastic-free, reducing waste and being energy efficient.
Contact the author at email@example.com