Associate Professor, Education & Leadership
At WOU since01/09/2012
HobbiesBook collecting, thrift shopping, dog walking, and reading.
|Please email to arrange by appointment.|
Course scheduleWinter 2023
|21236||WR400||DIVERSITY & INCLUSION PROF WR||T 1000-1150||MNB 104|
|21219||CSE629||WEB-BASED WEB DESIGN||-||ONLINE CRS|
|21236||WR400||DIVERSITY & INCLUSION PROF WR||-||HYBRD* CRS|
Ph.D. in Technical Communication & Rhetoric, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
M.A. in Literature & Teaching of Writing, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
B.A. in English, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- Graduate Writing
- Instructional Design
- Teaching with Technology
- Usability of Online Education
- Video and Screencasting in Online Education
- Usability Testing and User Experience
- Usability Testing Open Source Software
- eLearning & Open Source Tools
- Grant Writing
- Research Methods Training in Technical Communication & Usability
- Graduate Student Profess
Grants and funding
- ASSETT Technology-in-Kind grant. Applied for and received ten Decks from Sol Republic. A Deck is a Blue Tooth enabled mobile speaker. The devices were requested to support creation of mobile audio kits and to get technology for teachers to test out in their classrooms. Value $2,000. October 2014.
- Recipient with Dr. Mary Bucy, $500. Diversity Initiative Grant. We were awarded funds to bring to active women programmers who work in open source coding to speak about their work on campus. We had to return the award because we could not find two guest speakers within the short time frame. Spring 2014.
- Applicant, AIC Grant, Requested $26,691.28. Awarded $1,624.00 to purchase a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Winter 2013.
- Faculty Development Grant, $1,104. Category 1, Professional Travel to Conference— Official Capacity. Supports presentation at Digital Pedagogy Poster Session at the Conference on College Composition and Communication. Las Vegas. 13-16 March 2013.
- Faculty Development Grant, $1,041. Category 1, Professional Travel to Conference—Official Capacity. Supports presentation at Symposium on Communicating Complex Information. Greenville, NC. 25-26 February 2013
- Assistant Professor of Educational Technology, Western Oregon University, Monmouth, OR
Graduate courses taught
- CSE 604: Portfolio
- CSE 606: Web Based Web Site Design
- CSE 617: Open Source Software
- CSE 619: Big Thinkers
- CSE 624: Internet for Educators
- CSE 632: Cultural, Social, and Philosophical Issues in Educational Technology
- CSE 667: Making Video Accessible
- CSE 668: Creating Mobile Content
- CSE 669: Screencasting: Basics & Best Practices
- CSE 692: Learning Objects
- ED 626: Instructional Design
- ED 633: Research and Writing
- LIB 686: Emerging Technologies
Undergraduate courses taught
- ED 270: Technology for Teachers
Publications and Presentations
- Zobel, G. Response to C. Duerringer’s “Choosing a Committee” (2013). In R.Skinnell, J. Holiday, C. Vasset & T. Skeen [Eds.], What We Wish We’d Known: Negotiating Graduate School. Southlake, TX: Fountainhead Press.
- Zobel, G.(2014) Editor-at-Large for Digital Humanities Now: http://digitalhumanitiesnow.org/. For a week at a time, I reviewed, voted, and helped determine which content was featured on the website. January 4-10, 2014; February 15-21, 2014; April 12-19, 2014.
- Zobel, G.(2014)Editor. Data + Design: A simple introduction to preparing and visualizing information. One of 56 contributors who developed, authored, editing, and published this web-based, Creative Commons text in 2014. The publication was supported by Infoactive and the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute. I was a volunteer editor. https://infoactive.co/data-design/titlepage01.html
- Zobel, G. (2014). Seale’s E-Learning and Disability in Higher Education: Accessibility Research and Practice. [Review of Seale’s E-Learning and Disability in Higher Education: Accessibility Research and Practice. Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group: New York, 2014].Technical Communication, Vol 61(3).
- Association of Teacher Educators: 2013—now
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing: 2009—2013
- Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication: 2009—now
- International Society for Technology in Education, 2012—now
- User Experience Professionals Association: 2010—now
Did this faculty or staff member support your efforts to succeed? Give them a Student success shout-out.