Associate Professor, Deaf Studies & Professional Studies
503-838-8038 | email@example.com
At WOU since09/16/2008
Course scheduleFall 2019
|12018||RC608||PRACTICUM||M 0900-1150||RWEC 206|
|12015||RC655||ETHICS & ISSUES IN RC||W 1300-1550||RWEC 108|
|10185||RC650||PROF CNSLNG ORNTN ETHC PRAC||T 0830-1220||RWEC 106|
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, University of Connecticut, CT
- M.A. in Creative Arts Therapy with Distinction, Hofstra University, Long Island, NY
- B.A. in Nursing, National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan City, Taiwan
- Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling
Grants and funding
- 2011 Received WOU Foundation Grant, Chinese Club
2008-present – Assistant Professor, Western Oregon University.
- Delivered nine different graduate theory courses, 10 practica, and one internship.
- Provided academic services, including serving as Chair for RCE students’ Graduate Portfolio projects,
- supervising, advising, and mentoring.
- Committed to scholarship development
2007-2008 – Teaching Assistant, University of Connecticut
- Taught graduate courses Counseling Theory and Practice and Counseling: Advanced Practice.
- Conducted practice session and supervision
- Evaluated students’ academic performance
2005-2008 – Rehabilitation Service Counselor, Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation Vocational Rehabilitation, Office of Rehabilitation Service RI
- Provided counseling and guidance
- Developed individualized plans for employment
- Provided transition services from school to employment
- Provided college or vocational training
- Provided job development and placement services
- Provided job training and job supports
Awards and honors
- 2013 Received Faculty Development Fund, category I (Travel), III (Research), IV (Course reassignment)
- 2012 Received Faculty Development Fund, category I (Travel)
- 2011 Received Faculty Development Fund, category I (Travel)
- 2011 Received Faculty Development Fund, category III (Research)
- 2011 Received ASWOU Over Realized Fund, Chinese Club
- 2009 Received WOU Foundation Grant, Chinese Club
- 2009 Received Faculty Development Fund, category I (Travel)
- 2008 Received Faculty Development Fund, category I (Travel)
- 2008 Certified as a rehabilitation counselor, Valid October 1, 2008-September 30, 2013
- 2007 Selected to participate in Rehabilitation Capacity Building and NIDRR-RSA Grant Writing Workshop, September 6-7
Graduate courses taught
- RC 609 Practicum in Rehabilitation Counseling,
- RC 625 Rehabilitation Counseling Research,
- RC 630 Group Work,
- RC 650 Ethical Issues in Rehabilitation Counseling, and
- RC 662 Measurement and Assessment Procedures in Deafness and Rehabilitation.
Publications and Presentations
- Ni, C. F., Wilkins-Turner, F., & Harrington,C. (2012).The effect of education on mental health and behavioral adjustments among American Indians from eastern tribes. Manuscript was submitted to Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin for publication in October 2012
- Harrington, C., Ni, C. F., Wilkins-Turner, F., Liebert, D. E., &Ellien, V.(2012). Factors related to employment among Native Americans. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling, 34, 36-43.
- Ni, C. F., Wilkins-Turner, F., Liebert, D. E., Ellien, V., &Harrington, C. (2011). Native Americans with disabilities: A comparison of male and female eastern tribal members. Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal, 7, 41-53.
- Ni, C. F., Wilkins-Turner, F., Ellien, V., Harrington, C. & Liebert, D. E. (2009).Community needs assessment of Native Americans and one year follow-up evaluation. Proceedings.
- National Council on Rehabilitation Education
- Asian American Psychological Association
- National Rehabilitation Counseling Association (200-2009)
- American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (2006-2009)
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (2006-9)
- American Counseling Association (2006-8)
- Society for Community Research and Action (American Psychological Association Division 27)
Did this faculty or staff member support your efforts to succeed? Give them a Student success shout-out.