Director of Admissions, Admissions Office
Why I chose WOUI was impressed with the WOU's ambition to become more well known and viewed as an option for more students. I admire the diversity and push to be a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). I am also excited to take part in the university's strategic planning to help set future goals of success. On a more personal note - My wife is from the town of Monmouth, OR, I'm a graduate of Willamette Univ., and as new parents we were interested in being closer to a community of family and friends.
At WOU since06/30/2023
HobbiesFamily time, Enjoying watching sports, & Trying new/fun foods
Fun factMy 7-month old daughter has already visited 20 U.S. states.
Favorite book/movieI am a huge Potter Head and have read each Harry Potter book at least 3x and seen the movies more than I can count!
Areas of responsibility
Willamette University, 2012 - B.A. (Psychology)
Harvard University Graduate School of Education, 2017 - Ed.M. (Higher Education)
University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, ABD - Ed.D. (Higher Education Management)
Colgate University, July 2017 – June 2023
- Associate Dean of Admission, Coordinator of Outreach for Opportunity and Inclusion (2019 - 2023)
- Senior Assistant Dean of Admission, Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment (2017 - 2019)
Willamette University, Assistant Director of Admission, March 2014 – August 2016
Awards and honors
- College Guidance Network (CGM) webinar guest, for College Planning Seminar series’ episode on college visits (Feb. 8, 2023)
- Keynote for April 2022 “Life after WU” virtual event
- May 2021 Kitsap Sun profile highlighting my personal journey from NC to WA fueled by racism and prejudice
- Feature Q&A profile in Sept. 2016 The Chronicle for Higher Education
- Blogger for Bright Horizons College Coach: The Insider blog is where college experts weigh in on latest college admissions topics
- Book Contributor, College Admission Essentials: A Step-by-Step Guide to Showing College Who you are and What Matters to You. Ethan Sawyer’s aka “The College Essay Guy” 2020 book
- 2019 & 2020 NACAC Guiding the Way to Inclusion (GWI) Conference Presenter
- Guest interview, Black & Highly Dangerous podcast, “bridging the gap between academia and the people” through discussion of social & political issues impacting the Black community
- Professional Athlete: Running-back, 2012 NORTH Division Champion, Lübeck Seals American Football Club in Germany
- National Association of College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
- Pacific Northwest Association of College Admission Counseling (PNACAC)
- Willamette University Alumni Board of Directors
Did this faculty or staff member support your efforts to succeed? Give them a Student success shout-out.