WOU’s Dance program gives you the chance to evolve your performance skills. Learn how to be more creative while also achieving technical expertise. Explore the history of dance and how its roots affect professional practice today. Our experienced faculty will support you in applying your dance skills while gaining the theoretical knowledge that can serve as the foundation for your future in teaching, further study or opportunities as a professional in the performing arts.
credits required for the Dance major
students enrolled in the Dance major
students per class on average in the Dance program
of students are assigned multiple advisers devoted to guiding them through their four years at WOU
Sample four-year degree plan
- Demonstrate strong technical skills in a variety of dance idioms and vocabulary, as well as a working understanding of body structure, conditioning and wellness
- Demonstrate a significant body of theoretical and historical knowledge pertaining to the dance field
- Produce scholarly/creative projects, solve professional problems independently, and demonstrate a well-developed intellectual/aesthetic focus
- Resident/guest choreographer
- Tour management
- Professional dancer
- Artistic director (dance company, festival)
- Dance critic
- Studio Teacher/Owner
The WOU Dance minor program is robust; students have the opportunity to explore a wide range of dance offerings that can improve their skills. In addition to technique courses, students choose from electives that include Creative Dance for Children, Drumming for Dancers and Rhythmic Awareness.