Western Oregon University alum highlights social work career

MONMOUTH, Ore. – Western Oregon University is proud to highlight the accomplishments of alumnus Michael Waller ‘08. Waller received a bachelor’s degree in social science from Western, leading him to a career in social work.

Western introduced Waller to his two passions which are acting and sociology. Waller shares that he always knew he wanted to help people and while at Western,  learned there were a multitude of avenues he could take. Currently, he is a school social worker at McDaniel High School in Portland and a working actor. 

“One of the biggest things I learned at Western was to take chances. I did not believe that I could get into some of the things I’m into today. I was introduced to some staff at Western who really challenged me,” shared Waller. “They challenged me to have critical thinking and I wouldn’t be where I’m at without it. I recommend Western to everyone.” 

Waller’s story is a testament to Western’s commitment to supporting students in discovering and following their passions. His dedication to supporting youth through social work exemplifies the impactful contributions that Western alumni make to society, showcasing the values of compassion, leadership, and excellence instilled by their alma mater.

Watch Michael Waller’s success story

###

About Western Oregon University

Western Oregon University, established in Monmouth in 1856, proudly stands as Oregon’s oldest public university. Hosting around 4,000 students, Western embodies a mid-sized, NCAA Division II institution, with approximately 80% of its students hailing from within the state. Notably, its diverse student body comprises individuals from underrepresented backgrounds, veterans, and non-traditional learners. Western stands as the preferred campus in Oregon for those pursuing an enriching education within a nurturing, student-focused environment, characterized by faculty-led instruction.  Together we succeed.

You May Also Like…

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.