Enter the Grid: Oracle 10g

I’m not a particularly excitable person. I admit that I’ve jumped up and down in excited once or twice. But I gotta tell ya, I’m excited about this.

Oracle 10g is coming to town. Yes, here in little ‘ol Monmouth comes the newest and shiniest version of Oracle’s industry-standard DBMS (DataBase Management System). And I’m excited. The conference in my previous blog was for a program called Computrition. The newest version of this software requires Oracle 10g, which we don’t have… Yet.

So this morning for my Staff Development I was learning the ins and outs to assist Troy in the admistration of the 10g DB. It makes my little heart go pitter-patter. Not just becuase it’s new, shiny and fast (although that’s usually enough for most IT people) – but because of it’s rep. Oracle has ‘been around’, and will continue to be around. Associating oneself or one’s organization with Oracle is to associate yourself with quality. I like that.

Anyway, it’s not about the paper. Troy and I will be learning this material to implement it on our newly acquired timetable. I’d enjoy getting the 10g DBA certification, but it’s not about the paper – not really.

Soon and very soon (kind of) we’ll have a 10g grid, which will become the new standard – the new production server. Eventually my goal will be to migrate other programs that we have onto this Oracle server. Then everything I support (for Housing & Dining) will be oracle-based and easy to support on the one server.

Pipe dream you say? Sure, but why not? We’ve got the hardware, software, resources and time to get this done (and done right). So here goes – leaping with both feet. It’s gonna be a fun ride!