For the Love of … Travel

I returned from the Computrition Symposium early this week. It was a rather dichotomous trip, in my opinion. In one sense, it was the least relavent trip I’ve been on – as I was the only client IT person, and did not use the software on a regular basis. On the other hand, I had the most to learn, and learn I did. As I was totally out of my element, I was forced to learn and practice new things.

When I returned I told my wife that I could go for about 2 days without speaking to anyone – as I had used all of my ‘small talk’ for the month on this trip.

“Polite Conversation is rarely either.” – Someone funny

Ah, how true…

Anyway I was really forced to connect with attendees (mostly Dining Managers – like Karen, who I went with) on another level. There are so many IT people who I can talk with for a couple of HOURS on any of many technical subjects. These folks (for the most part) didn’t really have any technical conversation interest, and so I was forced to ‘play on their territory’. Not that this is bad, but I was more tired when I returned of trying to find conversation topics, then traveling.

lol. Another of many funny things was that at most social events, some kind of music was being played – in most cases quite loudly. There was a lot of ‘say it, don’t spray it’ conversation as we had to nearly yell to be heard by the person sitting next to us.

Alas, it was a good trip – I received a great deal of education about supervising. I used to just be this IT guy … you know…”give me a sword and point me in the right direction”. But as I continue to mature (as well all do…hopefully…) I’m coming to understand more of how the world works. Getting the training about Supervision, Management, etc.. now is invaluable.

More than that, it’s causing me to ‘change my mind’ and point-of-view about how I look at the world. Am I designed to be a supervisor, manger, leader, owner, etc… ? If my life were a tailored suit, it would say ‘Made by Management’ on it.

Is that what I want to be? A manager? I’ve seen myself as an employee for so long it’s a real philosophy change. But if I AM destined for that then I should really plunge in. Bill has really been encouraging me to step back and try to see the bigger picture.

Seeing the world through new eyes.

It’s not easy. But I think it’s necessary. It’ll build character (thanks Dad). I’ll take all the training I can get now, as it may not always be available later on. This conference also got a fire lit under a project I’m very excited about. But you’ll have to read my next blog to find out what…