Training

August 2-5, 2005 : CBORD Training in Ithaca, NY

CBORD UGC 2005

I attended a variety of courses/workshops varying in a broad range of topics all centered around the CBORD Housing Management Software.

No certifications received.

I was able to meet the support personnel I work with routinely, face-to-face. This allows me to more closely work with them and get support from them.

With more intricate knowledge of the CBORD system, I was able to come back to WOU with the ability to automate more processes, and streamline some of our existing processes. One of the largest classes was about the WEB API, which we opted not to use in the end. It is a very powerful and flexible interface, but we decided we did not have enough time to both learn and implement the Online Housing Application (use the WEB API) before it’s October 1, 2005 deadline.

I also learned some of the PCS features, and learned to integrate the two systems a little more closely.

In the end, we learned about their ‘packaged’ online housing application which will be rolled out in a basic form October 1, 2005.

—-

June 22-29, 2005 : ResNet Symposium Conference 2005 in Atlanta, GA

2005 ResNet Symposium

I attended a variety of courses/workshops varying in a broad range of topics all centered around Residential Networking Issues (we call ours ResComp – Residential Computing).

No certifications received.

Utilizing the knowledge from this conference, we were able to more effectively plan for Student Move-In (happening now), Student CD creation, Powerpoint Education, and much more.

Much of the Redwolf v2.0 design was inspired by thoughts and systems seen at this conference. Much of the talk of a NetReg system was drawn from this conference. I took a class on becoming a new manager, which has helped me as my position has recently become a supervisory position. I learned other skills and made friendships that I have already utilized to increase our productivity and enhance the services we offer to students.

—-

We have had at least one Third-Party software trainer come, but it was very specific training for that application alone (and little was pertinent for me).