Redwolf 2

One of the most important skills of any DB (database) programmer, in my opinion, is the ability to design a DB well, correctly and with growth in mind.

Thus far, I’ve been well-pleased with the design of Redwolf 2. It was designed by Paul Lambert and myself. We’ve made a few small additions/modifications for added functionality, but the core of the program seems to be holding together quite well.

I’ve been spending the majority of my time lately re-programming Redwolf 2. It has enhanced security, modularization, cababilities, reporting – and most importantly will be utilized to manage the campus switches in the near future. This will make the program quite powerful, and able to suit the needs of 3+ departments (not to mention managing the ports for ALL departments on campus).

Back to design, I was terrifically pleased by Redwolf 1, which had 3 modules. Redwolf 2, now has 5 modules covering a much wider scope of possiblities and taking advantage of some of the newest technologies we’ve developed (cookie security, iframe/inner-html, dynamic report sorting, Perl script interfacing, SSL, etc…).

I’m very pleased with the way it’s shaping up. However, with Fall Term move-in looming, will I have the time to finish Redwolf 2 and make it the Champion of the World it’s designed to be? Only time will tell….