RESNET 2005

This is a follow-up blog to my Atlanta Blog. I returned from GA about 9 days ago. I really had a good time, even though the weather was outrageous and I don’t really love traveling – especially not alone.

Let me cover some of the highpoints. I’m hoping to compile a full list of conference topics (from the ResNet 2005 Conference) and present them to Bill, Karen, Tina, etc… as appropriate. I am usually the kind of person who likes to make sweeping changes, and I don’t really like waiting, so I guess this will help me professionally to become more patient for things.

I spent a lot of time with Chris from another OUS school. We have interfaced before and I’ve learned a lot from him up to now. Having someone I knew at the conference was nice, in that I felt more comfortable in many situations. For instance, we caught the last 3 innings of a Braves game – and I seriously doubt that I would have gone unless I was going with someone that I knew.

Anyway I made some new friends, lots of new contacts and really strengthened the relationship between myself and Chris. Networking is a big part of these events, and try as I might I could not find a school with even a similar situation as WOU. First of all we are smaller, and have no one person dedicated to ResNet (residential networking – ours is called ResComp). So it was nice to compare notes about a lot of sessions to get other peoples’ opinions of what I was hearing.

Anyway, topics included spyware and virus removal, student auto-registration for network cards, among numerous other. I learned a ton (some of which I can’t talk about here), but mostly would like to implement (or take a step closer to) an auto-registration system for WOU.