President’s Speech

Apparently the president gave a speech yesterday. It was noteworthy enough to make the paper. I’m not too happy that I missed it – I didn’t realize that it was on a wednesday. I thought it was today so I was going to go, but was (thankfully) redirected by another staff member that it was yesterday.

I know things aren’t too solid right now. I think I understand the issues. I Think the students understand the issues. I see it as a money problem – I think the Faculty do too, no matter how many times the word ‘Respect’ is used in it’s place.

Do we really need more ‘interesting’ press in a tough time? I don’t think so. I understand what our faculty are fighting for, but as an unclassified staff I find it hard to empathize. Even if the faculty got 0% extra, the unclassified have been waiting just as long (if not longer) for a raise (cost of living, merit, etc…). When the faculty get even 10%, that’s 10% LONGER that Unclassified staff have to wait. Do I want it all to be fair? Sure – but how can I support them without being ‘fair’ to other unclassified staff?

Man, it’s a wierd world. I don’t claim to understand it, I can just comment about it.

I wish I had more to say. Words of hope – but I don’t know how this is all going to turn out. I just know it’s gonna be bumpy yet. I hope we get through it. I think we will.