Summer Transition

Welcome to Summer! Everyone’s favorite time… unless you don’t have Air Conditioning… anywhere.

The transition from Spring term to Summer is always a big change. Usually 400 million people walk past my window each day. Today I don’t think there was one. Don’t get me wrong, I love working down here and enjoy the youthful, exuberant environment – but Simon and Garfunkel had it right man… the Sound of Silence. Aah.

So yesterday we flipped the big magic switch and turned all residence hall connections off. That’s a good feeling. Like a house with 1000 doors and windows, and now only like 2 are open. It’s a good feeling. But nothing is ever as simple as is it seems. University Residences employs some students who live here in the halls, so there are SOME connections still live. And of course they are trying to move around so everything’s up in the air.

But HEY! Think about the good side… as soon as I have them all squared away, NCCDHRA..H..A..C.. I don’t know… whatever they are and the summer school folks will be here. Fortunately there aren’t too many of them so it won’t be like Fall Term.

Speaking of Fall Term, this summer should hold some interesting changes. We are losing what we thought would be our salvation – a cute little program that was supposed to save the world. It worked OK, but seemed a little cumbersome. Also we will be using a different AV (antivirus). This is the 3rd AV in the 3 years I’ve been here. Just so hard to find a perfect fit. Why do you think people buy new cars every 3 years?

Hm. Well I’m out of things to say about Summer Transition, however the whole comment about people and cars seems a poor way to end my first work-related blog.

If you haven’t checked out my first post, you should. Ren and Stimpy rocks.

I miss my student programmer Chris. He was a real quality person and he did a great job. I really appreciated him. I hope he does well at OSU/HP getting his masters.

*sniff* … gosh darn blog’s gonna make me cry. Who says technology is emotionless?