Photography Basics

Photograph is an area of interest that continues to find renewed interest and benefits.

I was turned onto photography by a gift of an X15 Kodak point and click, but the experience that fueled the interest was my grandfather’s involvement in a correspondence course in photography.  This subject has the special hobby qualities of freedom of expression, cool hardware (and now software), a finished product or outcome, and no age limit . .

and the best part of photography, for me is teaching others to understand and enjoy it as well.

It has this simple-complexity to it that can both frustrate and satisfy.  Understanding the basics of photography reveals an elegant cleverness of generations long before grandpa’s.  And because the concepts are based on the physical properties of light, they stand up to the test of times and apply to your digital camera.  Technology has changed but the light that is captured through the lens of any camera behaves just the same.

If I could share one chart with you it would be this.

basics_of_exposure.jpgAnd simply say:
        “SHUTTER” settings are about the amount of TIME
              and
       “APERTURE” settings are about the amount of LIGHT

Together TIME and LIGHT make up the EXPOSURE.

—————————————— /  / —————————————–

Be sure to follow “Photograpy” in my Blog, and find out what I would choose to show as my second chart on photography basics.