Project Management

Over the course of time, I’ve spent time learning about Project Management.
In an environment like ours, most folks manage their own task lists and work with management,users,… to establish deadlines and priorities.

But we are changing. PM needs to become more organized. BUT – not so organized that we spend more time doing PM than work. So, we have decided that Teamwork no longer suits our needs. Options? Well a lot of folk use MS Project, and we are looking into this right now. Each member of our Developer Team can maintain their own file (occasionally or upon drastic changes), then I can view all the files (or a subset of them) simultaneously. Developers can enter the project name, startdate, and enddate and we’ll keep it real simple. On the back-end I can add dates for estimations and completions to make our project planning more accurate.

Tricia also found: Tom’s Planner
It’s a (beta) web-based planning software that can export to MS Project. VERY interesting, though I don’t know how much time I’ll really get to play with it.

I re-organized my tasklist and grouped like items together. Evernote is really designed for that, but I don’t like the overhead that each block requires, so I’m using and (functionally) to make headers and groups inside my main project list. We’re beginning an intensive season of network training, which I personally am really looking forward to.