Evernote

Today I downloaded and installed Evernote. I had been using notepad to track my projects, but was suggested to give Evernote a try.

Strengths:
Evernote can take my many groups of projects/tasks and logically group them together. Those groups can be sorted by name, shortened to see more, etc…

Weaknesses:
I can’t drag and drop the categories to reorganize them. To compensate, I put ordered numbers in front of the categories then sorted by note name to order them as I desired. Still, it is odd that I could not move them up and down or sort, etc…

Not only does the desktop version allow me to stay organized, but with a single click to the Synchronize button I can synchronize my info with the web, allowing me to access the same data from a standard web browser, or via my mobile web browser. Windows-based smartphones and iPhones have a downloadable app for Evernote, but alas my new Blackberry Storm does not quality for either of those groups. However, the mobile site for evernote is sufficient for those rare times I need to browse/edit my tasklist remotely.

The program is cute and fully-featured, but I would prefer to be able to turn off unused features in an effort to conserve space to see each item of each task. As it is there is a list view option so I can view each task above and quickly jump to the details for each task/note. You can tag and search tasks. I think you can also create separate notebooks, which could be helpful if you wanted a personal todo and a work todo (for instance.

I have yet to really play with all the functionality, but am pleased at this early stage.
I’ll report more when I’ve really had the chance to put Evernote through the paces.