Hiatus

Why does it seem like I so easily forget to blog regularly? It’s not like nothing is going on. There is ALWAYS something going on. Out of site, out of mind I suppose.

Well this was my first official week back after FMLA (Paternity leave). Our son is doing well and excels at the 3 things babies do.

John was instrumental in holding Housing and Dining together during my absence. They recently titled him the “Wizard King”. Applause for John!

Now that I’m back, I’m assuming responsibility as the Programmer Manager. I will also assist and direct the student programmers. I’m excited about this change, and look forward to helping shape the future of programming at WOU. There are a great deal of things I’d like to accomplish, including balancing workloads and increasing morale. It is a great opportunity, and something I’m most interested in.

After being gone for 7-8 weeks, I’ve finally manage to fit all of my email back onto one page…. a major accomplishment.

This is going to be a big year for Housing and Dining. Housing will be getting a DB migration from ASA (boo, hiss…) to Oracle (yeah!). We’re hoping to make that change during Spring Break, with some possible training. We’ll get a new version of the program too. Computrition’s next version, 16.5, will also so onto the new Oracle server. After we migrate Conference Programmer and all the PL apps, we’ll have one Oracle server with all the H&D data. Oh what a lovely day that will be. We also just got new computers which are nearly all in place.

The “combo” app (the WOU online application that now allows students to apply for housing as well) has been giving us a mild amount of grief, but overall it’s been an improvement.

I’m really pleased with where things are headed. We have lots of work ahead of us, but when is that not true? Well enough for one blog.

Happy new year!