Season change

Well with Presignups BASICALLY out of the way, it’s time to transition.

In between projects, I’m working on a new tool called Logger (not to be confused with Frogger). Logger will keep a record of every important error event for all my code. At least that’s the plan.

For now, it’ll email me each day I work (aka not wednesdays or weekends) giving me a summary of information: current resident count, portal logins, group membership, etc…

So instead of getting emails when problems occur, I’ll get summary emails the next day. Now that I’m writing this right now, I’m thinking there are some things I still may want instant emails about, but mostly Logger is designed to tell me what has been going on, without clogging my inbox.

It’ll also help keep my systems synchronized by checking things that break and … FIXING things that are broken automatically then rechecking. Self-correcting DB code. It’s a weird idea, but somebody’s gotta try it.

So hopefully that’ll startup on thursday (when I hopefully have it done).

Then!

I’m gonna re-write the online housing application and incorporate it into the WOU online application.

I have some MASSIVE student payroll rewrites to do.

Also, I’m gonna design and build a system for the housing folks for use by future residents (200701) so they can see their preliminary room assignment, roommate(s) and roommate contact info. That is to alleviate the myriad mailings we do each time a room assignment for a future term occurs.

See, really down deep, I’m a closet tree hugger. I love saving paper. And ink. I like computers for that reason.

(Just don’t mention the fossil fuels we burn to run the computer, k?)

Today people in front of the WUC were handing out buttons that say Think Green. I’m into that.

Anyway if I get all that done, we’ll be ready for the August install, September prep, October cleanup, November baby and December migration.

Happy new year.