Computrition

Thus began a great journey.

Once upon a time, Dining puchased Computrition (CI). It was expensive, but high quality. It only ran on Oracle8, but we tried to cram it into the Oracle9 DB. Alas, it was not to be. So we made an Oracle8 DB on coug and life progressed merrily. It ran. It very occasionally broke, but was found to usually be our fault (usually).

Then along came CI v15. Shiny…pretty…new reports…and you guessed it: it only runs on Oracle10g. No problem.

We order. We train. We install. We backup. We break.

We delete. We re-install. We backup. We break.

We re-delete. We re-re-install. We DON’T do anything really weird and it’s still running. Well that lesson is learned. But alas, Troy moved along to greener pastures leaving us with only me.

But today I began to prepare the mightly 10g to handle CT v15. I tried to load some data, but alas it did not load. I called support – alas it still did not load. They went home. Monday is a holiday.

We will prevail. Never give up…never surrender. We’ll call them back … on tuesday.

…[ Please read extended entry ]…

BLOG UPDATE: 7/24/06
We have successfully setup Oracle 10g R1. We had originally setup R2 without understanding that the optimal 10g version was 10.1.0.4
With a great deal of ease, I was able to load our Computrition v14.5 data into v15.5 and connect to it with a machine that has HS v15.5 installed. I must commend Computrition on their exemplary support and patient help while we resolved Our issue.
The issue turned out to be our fault – first R2 vs. R1, then we were held up by a bug in R1 (which Oracle may not even know about) that doesn’t exist in Oracle 10g R2. Once we overcame those hurdles, Oracle started working well. So, once we had our database where Computrition wanted it – it took immediately. Smooth sailing. Thanks again to Computrition support – specifically their DBA team.