Ya, Standardization is good…

I don’t really like starting documents (including Blogs) with So.

So, Summer and I have decided to create some standardized PL (PL/SQL) security code for all of the developers to use.

Background:

Since the large migration (Wilbur to Aero) and LDAP push, I’ve noticed that some of my older applications are not using the more recently developed security technologies. In my personal decision to move projects over to LDAP authentication, I decided it would be a good idea to make sure my own (by my own, I mean a bunch of tips, tricks and code that I’ve modified and combined from AskTom) security code is A-OK. So I met with Shaun to go through the security code I’m currently using, so as to make sure it’s up to snuff. Anyway, Summer wanted to sit in on our meeting – cool – 3 heads are better than 2.

Finally, the culmination of that meeting is that we are going to take Summer’s pre-built form and LDAP authentication and combine it with my Cookie Obfuscation and Security Code to make one unified ‘package’ that all developers can use unilaterally for a huge variety of PL apps.

One of the primary issues we are going to face is the integration with existing projects and CSS (stylesheets). Summer’s current approach fits her existing needs, but we’ll have to expand it’s functionality to be able to utilize it effectively so that I can use it interchangeably as well.

Conclusion:

UCS developers will have a single location and set of dev-friendly code that has already been tried and tried again. Security for all PL apps will be highly secure, and security can be troubleshot (troubleshooted ?) by many different people. Now if we can just get everyone to use it (once it’s done) …