By the numbers

About once a year, I write up a little Mail Services PSA just to keep everyone up on what is going on with us, because what’s more important than an open, direct dialogue about the inner workings of departments?

Important, not interesting.

This year I thought I’d write it up as a post so that it’s not invading your email inboxes unrequested… my commentary seems to get longer every year, and there’s no need to subject the unwilling to my very detailed and very specific sent of rantings 🙂

For those of you who have never needed my services or accidentally found my office while looking for something else, my name is Amanda. I’m a second generation graduate and employee of Western Oregon University and I’ve been working in University Mail Services for a total of 15 years now (8 as a full time employee). My department’s responsibility encompasses both residential (347 Monmouth Ave N) and campus (345 Monmouth Ave N) mail, incoming and outgoing. I currently employ 7 students that work varying shifts throughout the day delivering and processing mail and packages. Here’s some of our numbers so far this (fiscal) year:

This means that each student position represents 3,108 packages delivered this year, or 315 a month. Our packages come in all throughout the day, varying from morning to afternoon deliveries to almost all departments on campus. We receive and send out UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL and OnTrac packages

This is the number of packages/certified/letters with tracking that I (or my students, but mostly I) have processed so far this year. That’s over 300 a month folks. FYI I also keep spreadsheets of them so that if someone calls looking for tracking or chargeback information I can quickly pull the information up upon request.

This number includes bulk mailings, Library & Media mail, first class letters, flats and parcels. Pieces processed through the machine are automatically measured and weighed and a price is printed directly on it depending on how much it weighs, what class is selected and where it is going.

This is the number of student employees that I have had the honor of employing during my time in Mail Services. Of those students, 18 have ended up graduating from WOU while still employed with Mail Services.

Thank you retroactively and proactively for all the slack that is cut. I feel like we do a fairly good job for what we have.

Well, this was accidentally longer than I intended and now I gotta scoot. I’ll do a part 2 tomorrow, but for now…

About Amanda Bales 39 Articles
Mail Services Supervisor, former student worker. I have a BS in Psychology/Communications and a MS in Counseling. And I work in Mail.