Suggested Changes and Improvements Part 1

Just to show you all I genuinely appreciate your feedback, I thought that the least I could do is address or answer some of these comments.

What changes/improvements would you be interested in seeing implemented?

“Some sort of notification system if something was to be delivered but no one was available to sign for it”

Thanks to this person and Leta (my partner in crime in the Print Shop) we now have “Sorry We Missed You” door hangers that we will leave after an attempt to deliver a package, which will include the time, date of attempt as well as the initials of the student on duty. This is a very good example of things that I need suggestions on. It was a simple solution to a problem that I didn’t even know existed! Easy-peasy.

“I would love to see the mail not “banded”.”

Unfortunately, using rubber bands on the mail is the most efficient, safest way of organizing mail that I have found yet. I have tried binder clips and paper clips, but have found them to be unreliable, especially for departments that receive only a little mail. All it takes to have the paper clip fall off is getting it caught on another, slightly heavier piece of mail to pull it off, and then before you know it all of the mail is mixed together, creating a logistical nightmare for the delivery person en route.

I do have a compromise/solution though. I am putting together some hardback envelopes for campus use… and if something is being sent via intra-campus mail, it can be used to protect it. The sender can either send me a note attached to the envelope to place it in something protective, or they can visit me in the mailroom and I will provide them with one for their use.

“I’d love to have an on campus mail box again.  I used it all the time and really miss it”

Several people have mentioned how they miss this drop box. Unfortunately, that was a decision that the Post Office made a while ago, not just to remove the one outside Campbell Hall, but to remove all of them in Monmouth. I am more than happy to take small, pre-stamped personal mail to the post office along with our normal daily delivery however. I have a basket on my front desk that mail can be placed in, and as long as it reaches us before 3:30, it will be delivered to the Post Office in Monmouth along with everything else.

“As far as the training goes – it would be appreciated, but I would forget everything before I had to use it and would end up just asking Amanda anyway.  If basic information is on the website, that should be sufficient.”

I’ve found that sometimes walking people through my processes and being available for Q&A can stick with you longer than you realize. I’m thinking maybe training session would at least help establish what I need to put on the website, because what I think is “basic” may not seem very basic to other people… or may be just totally out in left field. I am currently working to make this blog more useful for people to access information, but please comment if there is some specific information or instructions that you would like to have outlined in the future.

“Department mail drop off varies greatly by building – some form of standardization would help.  Faculty mailboxes are not always in the same building as the faculty office.”

There is no simple solution or answer to this conundrum. The lack of standardization is precisely why I sent out this survey… the routine harkens back to a completely different time; a time when we were located in the Physical Plant, used carts to deliver the mail, and hand-carried the mail to each department individually (times I remember very well). In those days, faculty offices were not as spread out as they are now, and it was not to difficult for departments to spread out deliveries within themselves. Now, this system is becoming cumbersome.

My goal is to establish something more uniform and user friendly for the university, but this will take time. I don’t want to shock the system too much or change too drastically because the Postal system is already in such constant flux that I’m afraid of making changes too quickly only to have to back off of them. Please stay tuned for my continued efforts to improve service.

“I would like to see the students wear name tags when they are coming and going in buildings.”

Wish granted 😉 I ordered name tags for them last week, and hopefully I will have them soon.

Continue on to Suggested Changes and Improvements Part 2

About Amanda Bales 39 Articles
Mail Services Supervisor, former student worker. I have a BS in Psychology/Communications and a MS in Counseling. And I work in Mail.