Suggested Changes and Improvements Part 2

“I wish there was someone available to take packages at lunch, or at least some kind of a drop-off box. It’s sometimes the only time during the day I have to run over to the mail room”

Many people have inquired about making it easier to drop off mail during the lunch hour, and while I do not have an answer for this yet, I wanted to let everyone know that I am actively working on it. It’s pretty high on my list of “things to resolve”.

“Would be nice if the Portal campus directory could also have an entry for a mail code/address for the individual.”

This is an excellent idea; another example of why I really appreciate the feedback! However, since this is a fairly substantial project to take on, I have a list that is available for any staff/faculty/administration member who would like to use it for official business purposes. It’s just not something that I’m going to post online because it’s should not  be easily accessible for anything other than WOU business. I can also help establish lists for you if you need the help for larger campus mailings. It takes me a little time, but it’s easy.

“In my dreams…  a runner […] who carried intercampus mail between the dean’s offices and the Provost office, registrar’s office, advising, or business office.”

While this may be a little out of our scope for the moment (just a little), I’m not going to say “no, we will definitely never do that”. Although this may have been intended as tongue-in-cheek, if you need help, please call me. I can’t guarantee that you’ll love the answer every single time, but the more I learn what needs the campus has, the more I can fine tune our processes.

“Tour of services would be great especially for new employees.”

I would love to do this, and would be 100% up for organizing something if HR is able to fit it in. I remember New Employee Orientation and how much good information is covered and would love to be a part of it.

“For website – Might help if you had a comparison chart of fed ex, ups, etc., relative to cost by weight, size, and insurance coverage.. “

This is a very good idea; and one I will work on! Unfortunately, the chart might be more complicated than I can take on. Factors to include in comparison would be weight, dimensions, general size, value/insurance (thresholds and incremental), speed of service, zone of delivery, residential vs commercial, and what time of the day indicated. Also, while the USPS changes around once a year, FedEx and UPS are constantly having to update prices because of the rising (and falling) gas prices. I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m just not sure how to proceed.

What I can promise, though, is if you call, stop by or email me I will give you a thorough assessment of your options for shipping.

“There need to be more small, energy efficient cargo vehicles on the road. How many “pickup truck” tasks could be accomplished with a van like these?”

I totally agree. I would really like to look into energy efficient cargo vans the next time we’re in the market. I’ve got my work cut out in researching though, because this is what we handle daily:

10432463_985701554774392_5561290122801167266_n1780855_784646460558_583944428_n 10338893_626311830792656_7555591369536698191_n 1375816_692751204069430_1586983319_n

About Amanda Bales 39 Articles
Mail Services Supervisor, former student worker. I have a BS in Psychology/Communications and a MS in Counseling. And I work in Mail.