Chapter 33 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 1606 | Chapter 1607 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 35 | Forms/Links

Getting Started

All students receiving Veterans’ benefits at WOU must be admitted to the University. If you have not already done so please start by applying to the school or contact Admissions if you have questions regarding the admissions process.

**Western Oregon recognizes the members of the U.S. Armed Forces and honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces by exempting them from paying the $60 admissions application fee.  Provide a copy of your DD-214, or, for current military members, a copy of your most recent military orders, Enlisted Records Brief (ERB), or Officer Records Brief (ORB). Once you have completed the online application for admissions form, please select the “defer your application fee” box. When the supporting documents have been received, the application fee will be waived and your application will be processed. You can fax the required forms listed above to 503-838-8067 / or scan and e-mail them to

In order to receive Veterans’ Educational Benefits you must be approved by Veterans’ Administration. Visit the VA Administration’s website to apply for Educational Benefits. for Veterans’ Educational Benefits. Once you receive approval from the VA to receive Veterans’ Educational Benefits please bring or send the Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans’ Clerk.

If you are not sure what degree program you wish to pursue we recommend you contact Academic Advising regarding the various options at WOU. Until you declare your degree program you can only receive Veterans’ benefits for classes that meet requirements for all programs (such as our General Education or Liberal Arts Core Curriculum (LACC) requirements).

Only courses that are necessary for the students’ degree program as indicated on the students Degree Evaluation will be reported to the VA. If you have questions regarding how to check your Degree Evaluation, please see Degree Evaluation Instructions.

Note that to continue receiving Veteran benefits that you must submit a Request for Certification each term to give us permission to use your Veteran benefits and to allow us to report information about your classes for that term to the Veterans’ Administration.

back to top

Forms / Links

(All Chapters)

(Request for Certifications)

(Chapter 35 & dependents of 100% disabled veterans)

(Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607)

back to top

Veteran Support Services

back to top

Contact Information for Veterans’ Educational Benefits:

WOU Veterans’ Representative

Registrar’s Office

Western Oregon University

345 N. Monmouth Ave.

Monmouth, OR 97361

ph: (503) 838-8183; fax: (503) 838-9696


Veterans’ Affairs

1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551


University Registrar

Phone: (503) 838-8327 | Fax: (503) 838-9696 | or e-mail: