Q1: How do I get my educational benefits?

A1: Go to http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp if you know which benefit you want to apply for. After you have applied, in about six to eight weeks, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility stating how much benefit you received from the VA. Then you will take that letter to the administration building and give it to the VA certifying official. Our Getting Started page has the flow documented from start to finish with more helpful links


Q2: How much Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will I get, if I go with the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

A2: The amount of BAH you will receive is based on the school’s zip code. For Western Oregon University, you will receive roughly $1400 a month. However, that is only for the school year. Winter break, spring break, and summer break you will not be receiving BAH. However, if you are taking summer classes, you will receive BAH.

Q3: What is the main reason for veteran drop outs at WOU?

A3: Every veteran has his or her reason for dropping out of school. Here at the Veteran Resource Center, we are working hard to lower the percentage of veteran dropouts at Western Oregon University. The main reason we found why some veterans drop out is simply because they can’t connect with the university or fellow students due to service related issues. With the help of programs we are putting in place, the drop out rate will be reduced to near zero percent.

Q4: How can I help out the veterans at my school?

A4: The Veteran Success Center is intentional about finding and creating resources that assist student-veterans, but we can always utilize more support. I strongly encourage student Veterans to get engaged with SVA or PAVE, both of those options directly help our community and are fun! If you want help veterans in other ways besides volunteering, show them around campus, introduce them to people, help them with homework. You might just get a friend out of it.

Q5: Does the Veteran Resource Center accept donations?

A8: Absolutely. We depend on donations to keep the center running. We started Spring of 2014, and are fairly new and it would be nice to put better things in the Veteran’s Lounge to make it more appealing so more veterans would utilize the lounge. If you would like to make a donation, you can donate through the WOU foundation here

Q6: Are my donations tax deductible?

A9: Yes they are. You’ll receive a receipt after you make a donation. Also you can contact the Veterans Coordinator, and he will have the tax deductible code for you.

Q7: Where is the Veteran Resource Center Located?

A5: We are located inside the Werner University Center, downstairs, room 108, across the hall from Abby’s House. The Veteran’s Lounge and Veterans Resource Center are in the same room.

Q8: How often do I have to update the VA in relation to school?

A6: Western Oregon University requires you to update the VA, through the VA certifying official, every semester. Registering for next semester classes, adding/dropping classes, and changing of address are some of the many things you need to keep the VA updated on. The Veteran Resource Center will help you if you are having issues in these areas. Use this link to certify your classes each term!

Q9: When can I enroll for school?

A7: You may apply to enroll anytime of the year. There are certain requirements you must meet before Western Oregon University accepts you. You can find those requirements here. You might want to think about which semester you would like to start classes. The beginning of the school year starts in fall but you may need more time to prepare which is perfectly fine. It all depends on what is comfortable for you.

Q10: Does the Veteran Resource Center offer jobs?

A10: Yes. We offer three VA work-study positions on a term by term basis. We also host the Veteran Representative with WorkSource Oregon to optimize resumes, mock interviews, and job placement assistance for our veterans and military affiliated students. 

Q11: How many veterans attend Western Oregon University?

A11: At any given time the campus is comprised of roughly 4% student-veterans.

If you have any questions that are not addressed on this FAQ, don’t hesitate to contact us!



Veterans Resource Center

(503) 838-9246 | or e-mail: wouveterans@wou.edu  | Location: Werner University Center room 108