S*/NC Grading Option FAQs
How do I change my grade option in a course to S*/NC?
- Login to the Portal and open Wolf Web
- Select the Student Menu, then Registration & Schedule, & then Register for Classes.
- Select the term and click Submit
- In the grade mode column the listed mode is a hyperlink, click the hyperlink.
- There is a grade mode drop-down box for A-F graded courses.
- Use the drop-down box to select “E-Satisfactory/NoCredit*”
- Click “Submit Changes” at the bottom of the page.
- You are done. You will see the changes made in the drop down menu next to the course.
You may use these same steps to change the grade mode back to “A to F Grading” if you change your mind.
If you have a registration hold that prevents you from making this change online, email firstname.lastname@example.org from your official WOU email with your name, V-Number, the course CRN and specify what you have chosen to change the grade mode to.
How can I change to S*/NC if I have a registration hold?
- Email email@example.com from your WOU email address
- Include your name, V-Number, course subject, number, and CRN
- Request that your grade option in the class be changed to S*/NC grade
How long do I have to decide if I want to change my class to S*/NC?
- By 5:00 pm if you need assistance
- By 11:59 pm if you are making the change online through WolfWeb
How does the S*/NC grade option affect GPA?
Will the S*/NC grade affect my academic standing or honors at graduation?
Why is my S*/NC graded course not applying to my program in Degree Tracks?
Will the S*/NC grade option affect how my grades are transferred into another college?
We hope that universities will be flexible when accepting transfer courses with an S* grade, but if you have a particular college or university in mind, you should check with that institution before choosing the S*/NC option. You should also discuss your options with your WOU adviser(s). For colleges and universities in Oregon, we have started collecting that information here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jT0r7tp_QjUeOxMq6Lj1-k0kp9R7DawMxa3LTRCeueg/edit#gid=0
If you have additional information, please contact Dr. Michael Baltzley (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can update our database.
As a transfer-friendly university, WOU will continue to be flexible with students transferring in similar grades from other institutions.
Will a S* grade allow me to take the next course in the series?
Will an S* grade still meet major or minor requirements at WOU or at another school?
We cannot control how other colleges and universities count S* grades. If you have a particular college or university in mind, you should check with that institution before choosing the S*/NC option.
Will an S* grade still meet prerequisite requirements for professional or graduate schools?
Please should check with specific graduate and professional schools before choosing the S*/NC option. You should also discuss your options with your WOU adviser(s).
For professional and graduate programs in Oregon, please see the information at the bottom of this page.
Would choosing the S*/NC grading option impact my financial aid or scholarships?
Scholarship recipients should contact the Financial Aid office regarding specific scholarship requirements.
Will I be able to change classes to S*/NC in future terms?
Should I change a class to S*/NC or withdraw from the class?
We encourage you to speak with your advisor to discuss the differences between a withdraw and changing the grade mode, to make the best decision.