Western Oregon University offers eligible employees an exceptional benefits package which includes a minimum 95% premium paid healthcare; an outstanding retirement program; generous vacation and sick leave accrual programs; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
This position is in the Campus Dining department at Western Oregon University in Monmouth. This position is an open POOL for Cooks and is represented by the Service Employees International Union/Oregon Public Employees Union. This recruitment will be used to fill current and future part-time, full-time, and temporary Cook positions at Western Oregon University. To maintain an active status within the Cook pool, applicants will need to reapply quarterly. Applications should be submitted the first of the following months to maintain an active status: January, April, July, and October
We are not considering candidates who require Visa sponsorship support. Additionally, the university typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments.
This position requires standing on hard surfaces for prolonged periods of time and routine lifting of 30-40 lbs. and 50 lbs. for short periods of time and in the following conditions: in coolers of 34°F, around steam, hot fat, ovens, on wet slippery floors, and with commercial cleaning agents. The successful candidate must be able to operate commercial food service equipment. This position is required to work a flexible and irregular work schedule as needed and is required to work holidays when they fall on days that Valsetz is open for business. There is a yearly interruption of work during Christmas Break. The work schedule during the school is Sunday 8am-4:30pm and Monday – Thurs noon – 9:30pm with a 1/2 hour meal break. The school year schedule could change as the operation needs change. Summer work schedule changes weekly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Requisition food for weekly menu production.
- Prepare menu items according to standardized recipes. “Batch Cook” food items in small batches 20 servings or less as needed throughout meal service to enhance and maintain food quality and presentation.
- Insure proper quantity and quality of food prepared throughout meal service. Responsible for removing an item from the line if the food item has met maximum holding time or does not meet the quality standards in color and presentation of Valsetz Dining.
- Work one day out preparing menu items in advance as required to save labor.
- Develop, standardize and follow recipes; notify manager when a recipe change is necessary.
- Responsible for safe food handling practices. Responsible for maintaining correct product temperature from beginning to end of meal period.
- Perform daily cleaning and sanitation of all kitchen counters and sinks throughout the shift.
- Keep coolers in work area organized.
- Oversee Grill area when AM or Late Night Cook 1 is on break/meal break.
- Responsible for production slicing of entrée meats for a.m. and p.m. shift.
- Responsible for keeping daily production records of usage for each menu item.
- Responsible for keeping recipe notebook up to date.
- Supervise students when supervisor is absent; instruct students on correct serving portions.
- Prepare equipment repair forms and calls maintenance as needed.
- Clean the condiment dispensing system weekly, by flushing the system with water.
- Inventory leftovers in the freezer on a regular basis.
- Close kitchen – turn off equipment, discard leftovers not to be re-used, and properly stores food. Assure the kitchen and serving areas are left clean and sanitary the next meal service. Lock all downstairs doors, and secure building when leaving.
- Responsible for reading and preparing catering orders and assisting with special events.
- Accept deliveries
- Responsible for Monthly Maintenance of First Aid Kits in Kitchen, Bakery, Salad Room and Eye Wash Center; routinely check flash lights in all work areas to insure they are in working condition.
- One year of experience as a cook in a commercial food service facility; OR Possession of a Certificate of Completion in culinary arts and/or Foods and Hospitality Service from a certified community college or technical school.
- Applicants must have the ability to read and write and must have a working knowledge of commercial food service equipment and be able to operate and clean them.
- Oregon Food Handlers Card must be presented at time of employment. Employed candidate must be able to obtain a valid Serve Safe Certificate within one year of employment.
- Demonstration of good leadership and communication skills are necessary
A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment
You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/classified
Required application materials (PDF preferred):
- Employment Application Form available at www.wou.edu/classified
- Letter of application that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community
- Contact information for three references
- Copy of unofficial transcripts for highest degree earned (if needed to qualify for the position)
As an alternative, you may also submit application materials by:
Human Resources, Western Oregon University
345 Monmouth Ave N, Monmouth, OR 97361
with subject line: S-COK, Cook
Western Oregon University seeks diversity as a foundation of enrichment for our university community. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.