M.A. Teaching (Initial License) Elementary Track
The 2-year, part time hybrid Elementary Master of Arts in Teaching (eMAT) licensure pathway and graduate degree at WOU is designed for individuals who either:
- hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue an elementary teaching licensure
- hold a restricted/emergency teaching license and seek permanent licensure
The program culminates in a master’s degree and initial multiple subjects, elementary license. In addition to coursework, students complete three terms of student teaching, a final graduate exit project, and a state licensure exam. The eMAT objective is to provide in-depth preparation in the theory of pedagogy of teaching students in grades K-8 in multiple subjects.
To start, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 g.p.a or greater (or a master’s degree)
- Three years post bachelor’s degree or nomination from a building administrator
- Completed application packet
Finishing will take:
- The eMAT hybrid licensure pathway takes 8 terms to complete, approximately 2 years
- 67 credits
- 3 terms of student teaching
- A state licensure exam
- An exit project consisting of a portfolio
Begin your online Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Track (eMAT) program:
This program is currently closed to new applicants.
Where you will take classes:
- This program is currently closed.
Technology you will need:
- Computer with internet connection
- Video conferencing capability (e.g. Skype)
What you will learn:
University courses are closely linked to classroom experience so teacher candidates can explore theories and practices learned in their studies. Cohorts allow candidates to work together to complete the hybrid Master’s degree program. Teaching proficiencies that define what teachers should know and be able to do upon completion of the program are threaded through each course. Assessment of the proficiencies occurs through classroom activities, course assignments, teaching evaluations, and production of two work samples.
- Plan instruction that supports student progress in learning and is appropriate for the development level of students.
- Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning.
- Engage students in planned learning activities through the Work Sample Methodology.