To expedite your registration process, please fill out the Activity Registration form prior to your arrival at the HWC.
PCIA Climbing Wall Instructor course
The PCIA Climbing Wall Instructor Course provides instructors and potential instructors with an in-depth and standardized understanding of the skills essential to teaching climbing in an indoor setting. It is the first step in a sequential approach to professional climbing instructor development. The course reinforces the importance of teaching technically accurate information and debunks many common climbing myths.
The course emphasizes the presentation of sound fundamental skills to climbing gym participants, the formation of risk assessment and risk management skills and basic problem-solving skills such as belay transitions and on wall coaching and assist techniques. Participants will be assessed on both their core knowledge and their ability to effectively teach and coach related skills.
- The candidate must show an adequate experience level to the course provider illustrating that he/she is ready for the course. Examples include periodic climbing for 2-3 years, a high intensity of climbing in the past few months, etc.
- Able to easily put on a harness and tie in appropriately.
- Able to belay with an aperture belay device and an assisted locking device in a competent, comfortable and confident manner.
- Equipment necessary for the course may be checked out for class; inquire at time of registration.
- Capable of comfortably top roping 5.8 on an artificial climbing wall.
Cost: $80 for WOU students and $120 for non-WOU students (cash or check payments) which includes all classroom materials (CWI Course Manual, pre-course study and lesson preparation materials and written and practical exams).
Winter term class
|Date||Time||Registration opens||Registration deadline|