Update – For the health and safety of our new students, their families, and the WOU community, SOAR will be delivered as virtual experience rather than as an in-person event. Admitted freshmen should register for SOAR via their WOU Portal.
Freshmen are encouraged to register for one of our advising and registration support events when registering for SOAR. The dates for the advising and registration support events are July 29 and August 26. Advisors will be available via Zoom to answer your questions and assist you with the course registration process.
To complete registration please follow these steps:
- Join the WOU Network. After you join the WOU Network, we recommend joining the Academic Advising Community on WOU Network, in there you will find a lot of great resources to help you with advising and registration. If you have not received the email, or cannot find the email that was sent to you about the WOU Network, please contact David Compton, email@example.com.
- Your next step will be to complete the Orientation Module on Moodle (https://moodle.wou.edu/enrol/
index.php?id=7022), which will guide you through general education requirements, schedule planner, and more. Specifically, refer to the First Term Registration Guides that will give you recommendations on classes for your first term. Please remember that you need to make sure that you have access to your WOU Portal in order to get access to the Modules.
- If you have questions after completing those steps, don’t hesitate to connect with an advisor! You can connect in many ways, including:
– Ask questions through the Academic Advising community on WOU Network
– Refer to the First Term Registration Guides in the orientation modules for major advisor contact information
– Schedule an appointment with an Academic Success Advisor in Student Success and Advising. You can schedule an appointment online by logging into the WOU Portal, selecting the WCS icon in the upper right hand corner, and on the blue Get Support button.
– Register for an upcoming SOAR date. You do not have to wait to register, but we do have two additional SOAR dates scheduled on July 29th and August 26th. You can register now through your WOU Portal under My Programs: SOAR 2020.
Information on Demand
Student Enrichment Program (SEP/TRIO)
A student is eligible to apply for SEP services if they have a minimum of 1 of the 3 characteristics listed here:
First-Generation: This means that none of the student’s legal guardians has a 4-year college degree. A student’s legal guardian, for instance, could be their biological parents. Low-Income: This is based on family household size and state of residence. A student must complete a FAFSA or ORSAA financial aid application to qualify as low-income. Having a Disability: If a student receives accommodations through WOU’s Office of Disability Services, they would qualify under this criteria.
*An important note: We want to highlight that we offer sections of FYS 107 and FYS 207 that
are tuition-remitted for SEP students. That means that unless you have reached your maximum-allowable remissions at WOU, you will be reimbursed for the tuition cost of those classes if you take the section designated “SEP” in the title. The video above was created for a transfer student event, which is why only the Transfer Course offerings were highlighted.
Virtual Admissions Counselor Appointments
Admissions counselors are available by appointment to meet with future WOU Wolves and their families. Counselors can answer your questions regarding admission requirements, the application process, academic programs, scholarships, and university housing. Please visit our counselor page and click on a counselor profile to schedule a future appointment.
If you would prefer to speak with an admissions counselor by phone, please contact Admissions at 503-838-8211. Admissions counselors are also available via the Ask WOU chat function to answer your questions.
New live virtual visits
Western Oregon University will be providing Online Campus Tours through Facebook live. Tours will be an hour and a half long and include housing. You will have the opportunity to ask current students any questions you may have. This would be a great time to get a first, or second, look at campus while getting the opportunity to ask a Student Ambassador any final questions you may have about the campus or your transition to WOU. To request closed captioning for the tour, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If you have a disability that may require some accommodation in order to participate in a Western Oregon University class or activity, please notify the Office of Disability Services at 503-838-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 business days in advance. To request an interpreter, please fill out the INTERPRETER REQUEST FORM.
Placement Tests during SOAR?
Placement for Math courses
Students who wish to register for a math course can use their AP/IB math score, CLEP credit or previous college credit for initial placement purposes.
Students without an AP/IB math score, CLEP credit or previous college credit may or may not need to take a math placement test. Please see the WOU Mathematics Prerequisite and Placement Guide for more information.
Placement for French, German or Spanish courses
Students who wish to register for a language course can use their AP/IB language score, CLEP credit or previous college credit for initial placement purposes. Students without these must complete a language placement test before SOAR if they would like to enroll in a 102-level course or above. Placement tests are available at the links below.
Placement for American Sign Language courses
Placement for Writing courses
Placement for Biology courses
- Certain pre-professional health science areas (Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Medicine, Clinical Lab Science, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant or Veterinary Medicine)
- Certain chemistry concentrations (environmental, forensic or medicinal/pharmacology)
- Certain Teacher Education programs with a middle level/high school authorization (biology, chemistry or integrated science)
Students in these majors can use their ALEKS math placement score, SAT/ACT math section score, AP/IB Biology score, previous Biology 102 college credit (B grade or higher), or previous Math 111 college credit (C grade or higher) for placement purposes.
Students in all other majors, including Pre-Nursing and Exercise Science, do not require placement into Biology 211.