Freshman Orientation

For admitted freshman: Registration is now available through your Portal Account.

Update – For the health and safety of our new students, their families, and the WOU community, SOAR will be delivered as virtual experience rather than as an in-person event. Please check back for updates and contact Admissions at or 503-838-8211 if you have any questions.

Information on Demand

Business Office and How to Pay

Contact for questions: Business Office |

Campus Recreation

Contact for questions: Campus Recreation | | 503-838-9530

Financial Aid Office

Contact for questions: Financial Aid Office | | 503-838-8475

Hamersly Library

Contact for questions: Hamersly Library | | 503-838-8418

Multicultural Student Services and Programs

Contact for questions: MSSP | | 503-838-8737

Office of Disability Services Presentation

Contact for questions: Office of Disability Services | | 503-838-8250
(Google Hangout Available, please email ODS)

Service Learning and Career Development

Contact for questions: Service Learning and Career Development | | 503-838-8432

SOAR: Parent Transitions

Contact for questions: Dr. Kristin Mauro | | 503-838-8732

Student Enrichment Program (SEP/TRIO)

Contact for questions: Marshall Guthrie-Habermann | | 503-838-8168 |

A student is eligible to apply for SEP services if they have a minimum of 1 of the 3 characteristics listed here:

First-Generation: This means that none of the student’s legal guardians has a 4-year college degree. A student’s legal guardian, for instance, could be their biological parents. Low-Income: This is based on family household size and state of residence. A student must complete a FAFSA or ORSAA financial aid application to qualify as low-income. Having a Disability: If a student receives accommodations through WOU’s Office of Disability Services, they would qualify under this criteria.

*An important note: We want to highlight that we offer sections of FYS 107 and FYS 207 that
are tuition-remitted for SEP students. That means that unless you have reached your maximum-allowable remissions at WOU, you will be reimbursed for the tuition cost of those classes if you take the section designated “SEP” in the title. The video above was created for a transfer student event, which is why only the Transfer Course offerings were highlighted.

SEP English Flier icon   SEP Spanish flier thumbnail

Student Success and Advising

Contact for questions: Student Success and Advising | | 503-838-8428

University Housing

Contact for questions: University Housing | | 503-838-8311

Housing Tour

Housing Presentation

Live Events!

Transitioning to WOU for Parents (Spanish)
Transición a  la Universidad de Western Oregon para padres

Zoom icon ZOOM MEETING | Password: 439426

Contact for questions: PLUS Team |

Transitioning to WOU for Parents (English)

Zoom icon ZOOM MEETING | Password: 664165

Contact for questions: PLUS Team |

New live virtual visits

We wanted to let you know that beginning June 17th, Western Oregon University will be providing Online Campus Tours through Zoom and Facebook live, every Wednesday at 1:30pm throughout the summer. All of our live tours will be closed-captioned, and you will have the opportunity to ask current students any questions you may have. This would be a great time to get a first, or second, look at campus while getting the opportunity to ask a Student Ambassador any final questions you may have about the campus or your transition to WOU. Tours can be found on Western Oregon University Admissions Office facebook page, or through the following zoom link:

Zoom icon ZOOM Link | Zoom icon FACEBOOK LIVE

Placement Tests during SOAR?

Placement for Math courses

Students who wish to register for a math course can use their AP/IB math score, CLEP credit or previous college credit for initial placement purposes.

Students without an AP/IB math score, CLEP credit or previous college credit may or may not need to take a math placement test.  Please see the WOU Mathematics Prerequisite and Placement Guide for more information.

Placement for French, German or Spanish courses
Studying a language is required for certain majors as well as Bachelor of Arts degrees. One key to success in a language is to enroll in the class that matches your skill level. If you are new to the language, enroll in the first-year, 101 level. If you averaged a grade of “B” or better in two years of high school language, you may be able to enroll in the second-year series beginning with 201. If you averaged a “B” or better in four years of a high school language, you may already have met the language requirement for the major and the Bachelor of Arts Degree.

Students who wish to register for a language course can use their AP/IB language score, CLEP credit or previous college credit for initial placement purposes. Students without these must complete a language placement test before SOAR if they would like to enroll in a 102-level course or above. Placement tests are available at the links below.




Placement for American Sign Language courses
Students who are new to American Sign Language should register for ASL 101. If you have previous experience with ASL and wish to enroll in a higher level course for fall term, you must complete an assessment with WOU’s ASL faculty at SOAR. Students attending SOAR in California or Hawaii should complete a virtual assessment via Skype before SOAR. To arrange a virtual ASL assessment, please contact Lyra Behnke at
Placement for Writing courses
All WOU students are required to complete Writing 122. Students can use their SAT/ACT score, AP/IB English Language score, Smarter Balanced score, Essential Skills score, CLEP credit or previous college credit for placement purposes. Freshmen without these should contact or 503-838-8211 for alternatives.
Placement for Biology courses
Placement into Biology 211 is required for students majoring in these fields:

  • Biology
  • Certain pre-professional health science areas (Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Medicine, Clinical Lab Science, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant or Veterinary Medicine)
  • Certain chemistry concentrations (environmental, forensic or medicinal/pharmacology)
  • Certain Teacher Education programs with a middle level/high school authorization (biology, chemistry or integrated science)

Students in these majors can use their ALEKS math placement score, SAT/ACT math section score, AP/IB Biology score, previous Biology 102 college credit (B grade or higher), or previous Math 111 college credit (C grade or higher) for placement purposes.

Students in all other majors, including Pre-Nursing and Exercise Science, do not require placement into Biology 211.