Philosophy (Phasing out)
Have your friends told you that you overthink things? Are you the one in the crowd who likes to analyze all angles of a discussion? A major in philosophy might be the perfect fit for you. In class you will learn to comprehend fundamental assumptions, and then question and think critically about them. Find the most sensible answers that reason can determine, and discover how to use these skills in the career field of your choice.
credits required for the Philosophy major
students per class on average in the Philosophy program
of master's degree can be completed as an undergrad at WOU
of students who apply to WOU are selected for admission
Sample four-year degree plan
- Possess critical-thinking and problem-solving skills needed to analyze and evaluate ideas as they arise within philosophy and also in all areas of intellectual inquiry
- Critically analyze the origins of one’s own beliefs, values and ideas and those from different cultural and historical contexts
- Know the fundamental theories in the history of philosophy and be able to effectively communicate and discuss philosophical theories as they arise not only within philosophy, but in all areas of intellectual inquiry and develop arguments and think both logically and creatively
- Labor relations specialist
- Social worker
- Public policy analyst/legislator
Philosophy through the ages as well as discussions on personal morality and social justice are on the agenda for students who choose WOU’s Philosophy minor. Critical-thinking skills are some of the most desired attributes that hiring managers look for, so get a head start during your college education.