Morgan’s Manifesto

Manifesto photo
With war encroaching on their lands, the Tfel community and the Trihg community scheduled a meeting with their leaders to discuss possible options of working together. Before when raiders had come from the badlands to steal and pillage for their own amusement, each community was able to defend itself without risking their pride by asking the other for help. This time however, each community realized the results from their pride and stubbornness would cost them more than just a few lives. In this case, the enemy forces from the West would prevent them from completing the project they had been working on together for years. While the two communities were often at conflict with each other, some years past they had agreed upon constructing a safe passageway to the South where they could transport new materials.

After various meetings with the community leaders, which often ended with heated arguments of one accusing another of trying to take control, Tfel scouts bust through the meeting hall in the middle of such an argument, announcing visual confirmation of enemy forces. At the news of the enemy approaching, the Trihg leaders scrambled out of the hall in order to gather and prepare their forces for a battle that would hopefully prove to be most challenging. The Tfel leaders on the other hand, despite feeling the crushing need to prepare immediately, took a deep breath and sat down once more. With tense hearts and white knuckles they discussed their battle plans, strategies, and all possible outcomes thoroughly before setting off to prepare. Before final preparations were complete for the night, the leaders met briefly to discuss something resembling a plan in an attempt to get everyone on the same page.

Sometime later when the sun began rising, the Tfel scouts from earlier announced the enemies forces were approaching the soon to be battlefield. Once in sight of each other, the Trihg forces spread out in front of the enemy forces with weapons in hand, with the Tfel soldiers hiding over hills on either side. After a brief moment of silence, the enemy forces and the Trihg soldiers began to race into the battlefield, yelling cries of war into the sky before colliding with each other in the middle.

The Tfel scouts watched from the hills for minutes, witnessing nothing but confusion and chaos, unable to discern who was making any ground. Soon after, it became obvious the Trihg soldiers were forcing the line of enemy soldiers back. Their soldiers excelled at brute physical strength and were able to rush into battle in a chaotic manner and after a tense beginning, were visually crushing their enemy. However, as the battle raged on, the scouts noticed the growing fatigue and confusion growing among the Trihg soldiers. While their chaotic rush strategy, or lack thereof, worked at surprising the enemy and taking them off guard, it could only last for so long before the enemy regrouped and began focusing on the strongest key players of the battlefield, who were typically at the front most line taking on the most difficult of enemies.

At this point the Tfel scouts sounded off an incredibly loud horn, signaling the Trihg soldiers to retreat. Realizing their initial steam was gone and their fatigue was growing, they ignored their pride and began retreating backwards through the valley of the hills. After gaining some distance and feeling the Trihg soldiers had sufficiently retreated, a few Tfel scouts from down from both sides and waited for the enemy forces to cross their line of sight before setting off rows and rows of explosives set underground beneath the enemies feet. Through the smoke and confusion, the rest of the Tfel archers raced up from the hills and took their stances before bringing up their bows and launching their arrows into the mass of soldiers below them. A second row of archers stepped up, launching their arrows while the first row fished out more arrows and began trading off and on with each other.

While the Tfel scouts and archers drastically reduced the enemy numbers with their loads of bombs, traps, and arrows, the Trihg soldiers began regrouping with the time provided by the scouts. As the enemy started charging the Tfel archers, the Trihg rushed back into battle. With their brute strength and the archer’s strategic arrows from above, they effectively pummeled the enemy forces backwards until the enemy leader announced a retreat. Despite the leader retreating and losing some of the lives of their own soldiers, it was clear the battle was won by the combination of strategic maneuvers and chaotic rushes of the two communities.

Sometime after the battle, with renewed motivation and connection with each other, the Tfel and Trihg communities were able to co-construct their passageway through the valley leading south for needed materials, thus allowing their communities to flourish with rewards.

9 thoughts on “Morgan’s Manifesto

1. Is this part of an ongoing project? How much of this have you developed? I am intrigued. I sense this is part of a much deeper world-building project. Its neat!

2. This is an interesting snapshot of your writing, and there is a lot of development in your storyline. It has some great imagery and lots of action that keeps the reader wanting to know what will happen next. Like this piece, I enjoy reading stories like this because it is visually appealing and makes it feel more real like I am walking into the scene. Thanks for sharing a piece of your writing!

3. This was a fun story/metaphor to read. Your picture goes along with it so nicely – without it I may not have realized the full difference between “right” and “left” in this story. Michael’s right, you could make it into a full-fledged story if you wanted, but it is great how it is too.

4. Is this supposed to be allegorical? I remember you mentioning the warring the sides of your brain when writing–so which side is which? I’m curious… I really like this idea. It’s creative and fun!

5. This is so creative! I feel like this also describes why we procrastinate writing, and we don’t actually get anything done until both sides cooperate (i.e. the final paragraph of your manifesto). Maybe if I could get both sides of my brain to cooperate, I would finally succeed at NaNoWriMo 😛

6. I can totally relate to this, in the sense that I often battle myself while writing. I’ll have one thought or idea that wants to dominate, but then a new thought will arise and try to shoot down the first, then I have a full blown war on my hands. Glad I’m not the only one!

7. Seriously awesome concept!!! So creative! I feel like, for me, letting the Trihg lead or take control is often tricky to do. The concept of warring sides is a perfect image for the internals struggles we face as writers. I am glad that when students come to you with internal wars, your experience can help you guide them.

8. The notion that the writing process is actually an internal battle is definitely true, for me at least. You’ve got these two sides that keep delivering blows to each other (for me they would be procrastination and work), but in the end, they find a way to compromise in order to accomplish the task at hand that is beneficial for the both of them. Loved it.